In search of the ultimate location for your upcoming maternity photoshoot? There’s no shortage of incredible cities across the country that would provide the perfect backdrop for your maternity photos.
The right location can tell a story or depict a mood. Whether that be a whimsical forest scene or a romantic beach setting, the location will help determine the final outcome of the photos.
We’ve compiled a list of some of the top cities for maternity pictures in the U.S. If you live near any of these cities or are willing to travel, check out some of these incredible locations for photoshoot ideas.
1. Houston, TX
With more than 2.2 million residents, Houston, Texas is rich in diversity, alive with talent, and home to many must-see attractions. The large metropolis is a great place for a photo session due to its ample green spaces, beautiful parks, and awe-inspiring cityscapes.
Here are a few spots we recommend for your pregnancy photoshoot in Houston:
- Buffalo Bayou Park – Snap photos in front of parkland and the city skyline at gorgeous Buffalo Bayou Park. The park stretches more than two miles over the scenic banks of the Buffalo Bayou River.
- River Oaks – Pose in front of the majestic oak trees at River Oaks, a luxury residential area with lush landscaping and towering mature oaks.
- Gerald D. Hines Waterfall Park – With its stunning water feature, Gerald D. Hines Waterfall Park offers excellent photographic opportunities for maternity portraits.
- The Black Labrador – If you’re looking for a more eccentric backdrop, consider the Black Labrador. This former British-style pub is located in the Montrose area and features a lush garden and bold pops of color throughout.
2. Dallas, TX
Dallas is the ninth-largest city in Texas, boasting a well-developed park system, excellent schools, and a larger-than-life reputation. If you’re contemplating ideas for a maternity shoot, consider a cityscape. Here are a few photo ideas:
- White Rock Lake – Head to White Rock Lake at sunset and enjoy a tranquil backdrop with waves, sailboats, and flowers in the spring.
- Deep Ellum – If you love vibrant color, hold your pregnancy session at the Deep Ellum graffiti walls where local, national, and international artists showcase their work.
- Dallas Rooftop – There’s nothing better than a rooftop view. Head to 951 Munger Ave. S. which will lead you to a parking garage. You’ll need to pay a small fee to access this perfect location.
- Ruibal’s – This picture-perfect plant shop offers incredible photoshoot opportunities. All you need is the perfect bohemian dress!
3. Atlanta, GA
Atlanta is the most populous city in Georgia and an important historical location. It played a critical role in the Civil War and the Civil Rights Movement of the 1960s. There are many new and historic locations in Atlanta, GA that provide a great backdrop for a pregnancy photo shoot.
- Piedmont Park – Atlanta is known for its scenic cityscapes. Choose a flowy lace gown like Cadence and head to Piedmont Park, a vast green space with tranquil pathways, rolling hills, and a shimmering lake.
- Atlanta Botanical Garden – Showcase your beauty and baby bump while surrounded by Mother Nature at the Atlanta Botanical Garden.
- Ponce City Market – Treat yourself to a tasty treat as you snap some photos at Ponce City Market, a converted historic Sears building with a food hall and shops.
- Georgia Aquarium – If you adore sea creatures, consider taking your pregnancy photos at the Georgia Aquarium, home to many fascinating exhibits.
4. San Francisco, CA
Famous for its cable cars, grand-dame Victorians, and diverse communities, San Francisco is a fun place to visit and take photos. Consider a beach photoshoot during pregnancy. At golden hour, find a scenic beach spot away from beachgoers and show off your adorable baby bump in a form-fitting own, like Belle.
- Golden Gate Bridge – Head to Baker Beach which offers stunning sunsets and amazing views of the Golden Gate Bridge.
- Palace of Fine Arts – This grand building oozes romance and is the perfect location for a maternity photography session.
- Embarcadero – Embarcadero spans the eastern waterfront along the San Francisco Bay and offers plenty of photo ops.
- North Beach – Sandwiched between Chinatown and the Financial District, North Beach is a picturesque neighborhood packed with history and culture.
5. Fort Lauderdale, FL
Fort Lauderdale is known for its culture, arts, and year-round events. It’s the ultimate beach vacation destination as it lies along the Atlantic Ocean. It’s also where many expecting moms go during the third trimester for maternity photography. Check out some of our favorite maternity session locations:
- Hugh Taylor Birch State Park – This nature preserve features walking trails, lush greenery, and a famous photo spot at the giant banyan tree.
- Ft. Lauderdale Beach Park – Ft. Lauderdale Beach is known for its palm trees, turquoise waters, and soft white sand. Choose a beautiful maternity dress, like Vale Ombre, and capture some gorgeous beach shots.
- Commercial Boulevard Pier – The Pier juts out over the crystal-clear water, giving the photographer plenty of opportunities to take a gorgeous image.
- Hallandale Beach – You can find Hallandale Beach at the end of Fort Lauderdale. North City Beach Park is also just a few steps away.
6. Jacksonville, FL
Situated on the Atlantic coast of Florida, Jacksonville is the most populous city in the state. The natural paradise attracts countless travelers in search of an affordable, yet luxurious vacation. The ‘River City by the Sea’ also has many hot spots where you can bring your maternity photoshoot ideas to life. Here are a few to consider:
- Jacksonville Zoo and Gardens – This is one of the city’s top attractions. Snap some photos with incredible animals like elephants and giraffes.
- Treaty Oak – Consider a maternity photo session in front of one of the most beautiful pieces of nature, Treaty Oak. This 200-year-old oak tree can be found in Jessie Ball DuPont Park.
- Alpine Groves Park – Perfect for keepsakes and pregnancy announcements, photographs taken in the forested Alpine Groves Park is sure to be memorable.
- Kathryn Abbey Hanna Park – This versatile park is surrounded by beautiful moss trees and a small lake that leads to the beach. For your maternity photoshoot dress, opt for an elegant lace option like Her Heart Grows Wild.
7. Baltimore, MD
Baltimore has a long history as an important local seaport. Today, the harbor offers a variety of shops, must-visit crab shacks, and interesting attractions like a Civil War-era warship. If you’re in Baltimore and need maternity photoshoot ideas, consider a cityscape scene. Check out some amazing backdrop locations:
- Federal Hill Park – Go to Federal Hill Park for the absolute best view of the city’s skyline, day or night.
- Patterson Park – While the natural sights may change depending on the time of year, you’re bound to get some magnificent shots at Patterson Park.
- George Peabody Library – Showcase your love of books by holding your maternity session at the George Peabody Library.
- Top of the World Observatory – There’s no better place to get a sky-high view of the city below than from Baltimore’s World Trade Center.
8. Grand Rapids, MI
Grand Rapids is the second largest city in Michigan, located on the Grand River. The vibrant city is home to a vast arts community, as well as countless restaurants, breweries, shops, and outdoor activities. In Grand Rapids, some of the best maternity shoot locations involve cityscapes. Check out these amazing spots:
- Blue Bridge – This iconic bridge is the oldest railroad bridge in Grand Rapids and is now an amazing landmark.
- Ah Nab Awen Park – There’s nothing quite like an outdoor maternity photoshoot at a local park. Ah Nab Awen Park is known for its skyline photos at dusk and its beautiful river backdrop.
- Calder Plaza – You can’t miss this local hot spot due to the presence of a giant red sculpture.
- Frederik Meijer Gardens and Sculpture Park – Here you’ll find world-class art, such as glass Chihuly sculptures. Consider outfit ideas that will complement the gorgeous backdrop, such as the Scarlet gown.
9. Phoenix, AZ
Phoenix is the capital of Arizona and the fifth largest city in the U.S. The bustling city offers the best of both worlds in terms of photography. If you’re an expectant mother, you can choose to take photos of the cityscape or in nature. Beyond the city is plenty of desert and cactuses which make for an incredible backdrop. With the right bohemian-style dress, like this Boho Lace Maternity Gown, you’ll be ready for your pregnancy photoshoot.
- Desert Botanical Garden – This popular tourist destination is filled with green desert plants and cacti.
- Papago Park – You can find this park next to the Phoenix Zoo. Enjoy a backdrop of unique rock formations, palm trees, red sandstone buttes, and beautiful lakes.
- Camelback Mountain – With a pregnant body, you may not be up for a hike to the top of Camelback Mountain. However, you can still get some photos with it.
- Japanese Friendship Garden – This local friendship garden offers a peaceful background with its tea garden, waterfalls, streams, and koi pond.
10. New York City, NY
As you would expect, New York City offers spectacular opportunities for cityscape photography. A maternity photoshoot in NYC means access to many neighborhoods scattered across five boroughs. Some of our favorite locations for a photo session in New York City include:
- Central Park – Head to Central Park any time of the day to snap photos across the 840 sprawling acres of nature.
- Times Square – If you love the hustle and bustle of New York City, consider a session in the middle of Times Square.
- Greenwich Village – Located in Lower Manhattan, the neighborhood of Greenwich Village is a cultural hub with streets filled with people.
- SoHo – The trendy neighborhood of SoHo is the perfect photography destination for that stylish mom-to-be. Stand out with the soft and fluttering Jolanta maternity gown, perfect for cityscapes.
Find Your Perfect Maternity Photoshoot Dress Today
Pregnancy is a special time filled with many exciting events, such as your baby shower, maternity photoshoot, and eventually a newborn session. Throughout all of these milestones, you’ll want to look and feel beautiful. Shop our impressive and affordable selection of designer maternity dresses for a gown that suits your unique style.